Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wishes

"I must depend on a wish and a star" - Marion

For anyone who knows me they know that I make wishes all day long, on anything I can find any significance in. Constantly hoping and desiring for my wish to be granted. Before I left to work in Paris my mom told me that every time you go in a new church you get 3 wishes. Well there are many churches in Paris and believe me every time I entered one I was ready with my wishes. Weather it's blowing out candles on a birthday cake, cutting the first slice of cake, wishing on a shooting star, or throwing pennies in a fountain, I'm always ready. I even go as far as to ask the chefs in the restaurant in which I work to save all the wishbones from the turkeys during Christmas and Thanksgiving.

So that brings me to the point of this topic. The other day I was driving to my friend Chris' house. The road to her house is quite and suburban. I was stopped at a stop sign when a red bird (not sure what kind) flew next to me and then landed right beside my car. It just seemed strangely odd. I stayed at the stop sign for a full 2 minutes just to see what this bird would do, it did nothing although I swear it was looking at me. I slowly pressed the gas pedal to drive away and as I looked in my rear view mirror the bird had turned around (facing the same direction I was traveling) and kept sitting there.

When I got home, being the eternal optimist that I am, I researched what it meant to see a red bird and here is what I came up with.

If a red bird flies in front of you, make a wish.

When you see a red bird, quickly spit three times. If the bird has not disappeared from sight by the third spit, you can make a wish.

If you hear a bird singing in the rain, make a wish.

If two birds fly toward you in unison, quickly make a wish. If you finish your wish before they change direction or pass you, it will come true.

If three birds perch together on one wire, make a wish. If you finish your wish before any of them fly away, it will come true.

If you see a flock of birds, cross your legs and make a wish.
(England)

If a flock of birds you didn't know was there suddenly rises from a field and flies over your head, quickly make a wish so the birds can take it with them.

If you find an empty bird's nest, you get a wish.

If it has part of an eggshell in it, you get two wishes.

Courtesy of my friends at www.predictions.astrology.com

So all in all maybe I'm a little cooky and take wishing a little too far at times. Maybe wishes do only come true in Fairy Stories, but until they come true I suppose I will still keep wishing.


post signature

2 comments:

THE PARKER FAMILY said...

you can also make a wish when you go under a yellow traffic light or when all the numbers on your clock are the same i.e. 11:11.

cheery disposition said...

lol. indeed. i do the clock wish all the time too:) and i wish if i see the clock is at 5:28 since its my bday:)