Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Chef Impressions

Its that time again. Most people look forward to a new season of their favorite sports team. But me .. I look forward to a new season of Top Chef. You may remember last year I posted a blog about last season. A blog where I predicted who would win Top Chef after seeing only the first episode. So now its a new season and time to make my predictions for who will make it to the finale.

So here we go..
Lets start with talking about the first episode. The first quickfire challenge was a relay race to see which team of contestants could first shuck 15 clams, peal 30 prawns, clean 5 lobsters and then butcher 2 chops from a prime rib. The first team to finish all 4 legs of the race would win. So the teams all start and it is just embarrassing to watch as 2 contestants can't open a clam to save their lives. One girl cuts the crap out of her hand while another girl can't even get past 6 clams. Her team didn't get to go anything since she couldn't get the clams shucked. I must say I am highly surprised that her team wasn't screaming obscenities at her.

Next the winning team gets to take their ingredients they just cleaned and each must make a dish. The winner wins $15,000 dollars. NICE!

Jenn makes a clam ceviche with a citron vinegar. In my opinion visually is didn't look that great but... She has worked for/with Chef Eric Ripert so my instincts tell me she is better than most are thinking.
Mattin- the cute French, neckerchief wearing chef makes a poached lobster with bay leaf and star anise. It looks beautiful.. but apparently the flavor fell short.
Jesse makes a lovely looking shrimp and grits.
Last but not least Bryan produced a rib eye with caramelized celery, which seems pretty decent from where I sit.

The winner....Jenn with her ceviche. Girl Power. I like Jenn because A.) shes a woman cooking hot food and just schooled a room full of guys. B.) because on the first day of the meet and greet other chefs kept asking her if she was a pastry chef. Which if you aren't a pastry chef is a huge diss.. People often think girls can only cook pastry and not Hot Food.

Now its elimination challenge time.

All the chefs have to do is cook whatever they want and try to link it to a vice the chef has...ie.. Drinking too much is my vice...i'm making a drunken pork tenderloin.

So here are some things that go down... man puts steak in a deep fryer:( girl works with mysterious gluten vegan substance and makes a awkward chili relleno, and a lot of overcooked seafood.

Top 4 - Kevin from Woodfire Grill (down the street from where I work), Ron (aka the Hatian), Michael Isabelle the hottie,and Jenn ..Again.:) ..So Kevin takes the win.

Here are the predictions of whom will make it to the grand finale...

Final Three - Jennifer Carroll, Kevin Gillespie and Bryan Voltaggio
But not to dismiss his younger brother Michael and Mattin (moi amie fracais).

My prediction of cocky hottie - drum roll please- Michael Isabelle (he reminds me of Stefan). And I love it.

All in all a great start to the seasons and it looks to me like there is a lot of talent. Will my predictions hold.. we will see.

So tell me, who do you think will take the title of top chef?

Top Chef 10pm Bravo tv. tune it.

post signature

1 comment:

SHANNA said...

i will set it to tivo! sounds good- we are hell's kitchen fans, but it is pretty intense.