Monday, November 23, 2009

Mr. Darcy

"You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. " -Mr. Darcy

In the Movie You've Got Mail, Kathleen Kelly writes to Joe Fox, "Confession: I have read Pride and Prejudice about 200 times. I get lost in the language-words like thither, mischance, felicity. I'm always in agony over whether Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are really going to get together. Read it - I know you'll love it. "

Well I have not read Pride and Prejudice 200 times in fact I barley made it through the novel one time. However I have probably seen the movie close to 200 times. For me this movie is perfect in every way. The cinematography, the actors, the lines, the dances, the dresses and of course the infamous Mr. Darcy.

Like Kathleen Kelly I not only fell in love with Mr. Darcy but the language as well, it is so luscious, words like; nonsensical, bewitched, and incandescently. The movie makes me want to speak this way. When did people start substituting "is she amiable", for "is she hot?". Why don't men talk like this anymore?



Darcy, a name any woman would be thrilled to take. He is tall, dark, handsome, rich, accomplished, well spoken all the while exuding passion. Where are the Darcy's of the world? Matthew Macfadyen plays the perfect man in this film. In the beginning of the movie you'll swear he is the most ill mannered man to walk the face of the Earth but by the end you are totally in love with him.



Have you seen Mr. Darcy?

post signature

No comments: