Monday, November 10, 2008

Forever in Blue Jeans

"My voice is unadorned. I don't try for perfection. I try to be honest and truthful and soulful with the voice I have. If I make mistakes in notes, or there are cracks in notes, I don't fix them. Thats the way it is."
-Neil Diamond



Today on my favorite oldies station 106.7 I heard a great story of an elementary school principal who plays Neil Diamond songs over the loud speaker for his students every Friday calling them NEIL DIAMOND FRIDAYS. He then proceeds to hand out a teddy bear coincidentally named Neil to the class that showed the best spirit that week. Is this Genius? ... I think so! Being the Neil Diamond enthusiast that I claim to be I am sad that I didn't think of this first, and more importantly why didn't I attend this elementary school in northern Iowa. In further Neil news the principal went on to say that since the start of Neil Diamond Fridays suspensions are at a record low.
As a child I used to play my mom's record Hot August Nights...my favorite of all Neil Records and replay Cracklin' Rosie and Cherry Cherry over and over again. I really believe that this principal has the right idea, I know that I can't think of a better way to bring the masses together than through the music of Neil Diamond...known to many as the Diamond Cutter or the Jewish Elvis.
I encourage all my readers (all 2 of you) to think back to your favorite Neil memory or even your favorite Neil Song. The world would be a much happier place if we all succumbed to Neil Diamond Fridays. I leave you all with my favorite Neil song.

Cherry Cherry

2 comments:

SHANNA said...

i don't really have any Neil memories, we were more of a Judds or James Taylor kind of family, but i will say that he has one recognizable voice and some serious spunk! i'm all for Neil Diamond fridays. what a cool principal!!

allankieffer said...

I Am, I Said...to no one there...and no one heard at all, not even the chair...