Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Napa ( day 1)

Greetings from wine country!

Here's a view of the little inn I'm staying at.


My boss sent me to Napa this week to take a class on Modern Plated Desserts at the CIA campus in St. Helena. So.. today was my very first day of class. We were divided into groups and first on the agenda were dessert canapes.

My partner and I made l'il floating islands... which are hollowed out eggshells filled with a maple creme anglaise, topped with 'floating poached meringue' and caramelized bacon.



Then we learned how to make a "french laundry" classic.. the infamous ice cream cone. Basically its a honey tuile cone filled with creme fraiche mousse and macerated fresh strawberries.


Another group made some homemade marshmallows filled with chocolate ganache served on freshly made graham crackers. They were a delightful play on smores, and they were delicious.


After class I did some shopping around St. Helena and then went for dinner. I even drove past the French Laundry... too bad I don't have an extra $300 to throw down for dinner there.. perhaps one day:)..

Now .. I'm going to take a nap-a.

post signature

No comments: