Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Very Parker Christmas

Another Christmas has come and gone. Every year we have Christmas at my parents house. Christmas with the Parker's is a huge deal - complete with laughs and tears(always mine as I get overwhelmed at holidays and can't seem to help myself). On Christmas Eve we all go to church and then feast on Hoagies and Hot Wings ... An Amanda favorite! Then we all watch It's A Wonderful Life.. My ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE. I always cry at the end (i always cry all the time anyway..and im sorry for that) when George Baileys brother Harry arrives at the Bailey house and makes his toast.."to my big brother George, the richest man in town"...followed by an inscription in the Book Tom Sawyer from his guardian angel Clarence that reads... no man is a failure that has friends. (tear tear). I am a mess by the end of that movie.
So then we all go to bed and then Santa comes.
We awake to mounds of presents there is barely any room to walk or sit. Seriously we probably overdo it a bit but it is nice to see my little brother Brandon so excited with all the presents. So we begin to open presents. This year was particularly special because my nephew Beckham was able to partake in Christmas this year. Becks is starting to walk. He took about 8 steps in a row and it was the highlight of the weekend. After all the presents are opened we go to the living room for the stockings. I got a lot of lovely gifts this year, clothes, panties, lotion, address labels, stationary, scarf, gloves, picture frames, books, artwork for my bedroom, jewelery, a new wallet and many other things. We all lounge around til dinner time, my mom and dad made a lovely dinner. The menu was Prime Rib, Yorkshire Pudding, Caramelized onion mashed potatoes (i helped with these), Rolls, Grilled Asparagus, Mussels and Shrimp, Pumpkin Pie and Bread Pudding with Creme Anglaise.
Unfortunately my tastes are a little simpler but no one can deny that this meal was lovely. After dinner we passed around the peppermint pig and all hit it with the hammer telling about what we were thankful for in 2008. Then we all ate a piece of the pig as good fortune for the new year to come. Then I pack up my car and head home, sad to leave.

1 comment:

SHANNA said...

wow! that is a lot of presents..... i am seeing a trend at the beginning of your traditions, 'my personal favorite'. does somebody have control over the traditions of the holiday? j/k. i get overwhelmed with all the chaos too. it is a lot to take in. merry christmas!