Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Joyeux Noel


"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast. "
-Ernest Hemingway


As many of you all know I have a bit of a love affair with Paris. To go to Paris was the only thing on my "things to do list", and about two years ago I was blessed with an opportunity to see and work in Paris. It may seem like I talk about Paris a lot, but it is one of the only truly amazing things that has ever happened for me. I was sent by my GM to go and work at Laduree (seriously the best Patisserie in the WORLD). So I went and worked for almost 2 months. A very surreal, scary and amazing trip of a life time. Truth be told I missed America more than you'll ever know but now I look back at my time in "the city of lights" with only the happiest of memories (i seem to have forgotten all the bad ones). So with all that said and for those of you who read the books I recommend here is my latest suggestion. Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas by John Baxter is the story of John Baxter and tells of what happens when he falls in love with a French woman and moves to Paris to be with her. Baxter not speaking a lick of French and with no talent in the kitchen is asked by her Parisan family to cook a Christmas dinner for her quite large family in their ancestral home. So Baxter searches all of France to find the country's best recipes and ingredients. This book is a lovely, romantic and witty story of the spirit of Christmas with a Paris twist.

No comments: